Thursday, March 11, 2010

A blog for you to browse in your idle moments

Hi,
I've just read an interesting article by Michelle Smith in today's Age, about the latest incarnation of Alice, courtesy of Tim Burton. There was a link to Michelle's blog and her website - what a great find!
There are links to dozens of other related literary sites, largely based around girls' literature and the representation of girls and women in literature. Much of the writing is on Victorian fiction. The illustrations reproduced are fascinating. Hope you enjoy it - let me know what you find there, or what you think! The link is listed on the Blog list here.
JC

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read Michelle Smith's blog, and I found her observations quite relevent to say the least.

    As I began reading, I thought about when I was a child, and my parents would read Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and Robinson Crusoe to me, and I remember looking up to them as characters. But to be honest, I can't really remember any books with just one female character that involved as much action and adventure. I had never really thought about it before, and i didnt realise that there was such controversy behind gender roles and also audiences for children's books and magazines.

    And, yes, i will be on the lookout for any other interesting literature blogs, and if i find any, i will let you all know...

    enjoy your weekend.
    xx elisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Elisha, isn't it a shock to discover how a seemingly innocent area such as children's literature can be a site for political comment? How our favourite characters can take on a completely different ( sinister, oppressive, repressed) representation when our radar is tuned in to subtext, and multiple viewpoints? So Enid Blyton's world is full of feisty girls who can cut it with the best of them, destined for independence; or is pure British propoganda about duty to King and Country and maintaining order at home; or is a world of fascists where all the "evil" characters are old, wrinkled, with hooked noses and bad skin, and all the "good" characters are caucasian, with bright eyes and nice manners. If only we were all so easy to read! JC

    ReplyDelete