Friday, March 5, 2010

The Bell Jar resource

Hello, There is one copy on the Clonard library shelves of "The Bell Jar" analysis and chapter summaries, by Barry Spurr. I also have a copy.
This is useful especially for looking at recurring themes, and language.
Although the text is always your main resource, please keep your eye out for criticism and analysis. Don't forget that, up until about 10 years ago, all reviews, analysis, criticism and discussion was published and on library shelves, not accessed on the internet! So there's stacks of academic writing out there.
JC

4 comments:

  1. Hey everyone, this is Georgia.
    I'm finding The Silent Women (a book that looks at Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plaths relationship) a good read. I found it a bit hard to get into but I'm finding some sections quite interesting.
    Another book I just finshed is Chocolat by Joanne Harris, the book is great but the movie is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Georgia, it is an interesting story, and biography is a tricky genre. Often the biographer lets their own interest ( or bias) become evident in the text, and the reader's radar is constantly attuned to that, rather than the narrative. It was a very well received biography, and was seen as adding something new to the subject ( which is also a feature of the best biography) JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Georgia & JC,

    i just saw that you were speaking about 'The Silent Women', and i did attempt to borrow the book from the local library but alas it was checked out... I would like to read it though, so tell me what you think Georgia...

    And JC (i noticed you left your surname off, is that on purpose???), have you read it? If so, did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elisha, I'll see if I have my copy in the staff room tomorrow (Friday)

    ReplyDelete